Thursday, September 11, 2008

Google Desktop Discussion

I thought that he may make a discussion group for the Desktop question, if so, I'll copy and paste it from here to there - but otherwise I'm playing it safe and putting it on here...

The ability of Google Desktop to search all the files on my computer just amazed me. After looking at the three options to download I chose the Google Desktop. What do I think this means to the future of the library and to librarians? For one, if you click the Yahoo download the X1 advertisement begins and one of the things it says it "Tired of the organization battle?" Tools like Google Desktop will begin to have a large impact on how people rely on other applications to find more and more information - even on their computer! The information overload is apparent in every situation in life - even your desktop - and Google has begun to realize how much time librarians (and people in general) would save if they could just find that one document they used for this essay or the one email that had all the answers to that ..common reference question... So with this tool people can rely less on their memory of what the document was called and more on Google Desktop to quickly find it. And I have worked as a reference librarian so to me, this means less time searching for such things and more time for me to complete other tasks that need to be done in.

No comments: